IT IS THE
MISSION OF THE ELMWOOD PARK FIRE DEPARTMENT TO PROTECT ALL
THE CITIZENS FROM INJURY AND LOSS BY ANY DIRECT OR INDIRECT
THREATS TO LIFE AND PROPERTY DUE TO FIRE OR OTHER HAZARDS.
OUR DEPARTMENT IS COMMITTED TO THIS MISSION BY PROVIDING
RAPID PROFESSIONAL SERVICE ESSENTIAL TO THE HEALTH, SAFETY
AND PROTECTION OF OUR COMMUNITY. THIS MISSION WILL BE
ACCOMPLISHED THROUGH FIRE PREVENTION EDUCATION, FIRE
SUPPRESSION AND RESCUE OPERATIONS. WE WILL ACTIVELY
PARTICIPATE WITH OUR COMMUNITY, SERVE, PROTECT AND STRIVE TO
EFFECTIVELY AND EFFICIENTLY UTILIZE ALL RESOURCES AVAILABLE
TO PROVIDE EXCELLENT SERVICE TO THE CITIZENS OF ELMWOOD PARK
AND ITíS VISITORS...
ESTABLISHING THESE GUIDELINES WILL ALLOW MEMBERS OF THE ELMWOOD PARK
FIRE DEPARTMENT TO REFER TO DOCUMENTATION IN PREPARATION OF
PERFORMING TASKS WITHIN THEIR FIELD OF RESPONSIBILITY. THEY WILL
ALSO ALLOW FOR A BASE UPON WHICH TO BUILD NECESSARY CLARIFICATIONS
AS SITUATIONS AND CIRCUMSTANCES ARISE WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY. IT IS
FOR THESE REASONS THAT STANDARD OPERATING GUIDELINES ARE CREATED!
Elmwood Park Fire Department was founded in 1908, when the borough
was formerly known as Dundee Lake, by one volunteer fire company and
one apparatus. When the borough evolved into East Paterson in 1916
and then into Elmwood Park in 1972 the department followed and
evolved itself. Today the Elmwood Park Volunteer Fire Department has
four independent Defender Fire Companies with 6 apparatus serving
the 19,000 residents and business owners of the town...
1907 the Orchard Street Improvement Association
having secured quite a bit of improvements to the
Dundee Lake Section of Saddle River Township began
to consider the formation of a formal fire company.
Soon after in the early winter of 1908 an event took
place that would get the ball rolling. Very early
on a cold Sunday morning a horn was sounded
summoning the informal members of the fire company.
Out of the darkness of the night members rushed from
their warm beds and out they went with lanterns and
water pails. A serious fire had broken out in Mr.
Brandtís house on Grove Street. Through the
darkness and dense smoke the fire company was
successful in saving the house. This event was the
primary cause in the formation of the first
volunteer fire department in April of 1908. "